Interviewing people for jobs has evolved a lot in the last decade. Behavioral questions prevail, and the entire hiring process has become more sophisticated. Days when the only questions you faced were "Tell me well-nigh yourself", "What are your goals?", "Why do you want to work every bit an Accountant (or other position)" are gone for good. However, you may nonetheless get these questions, and peculiarly one about your strengths and weaknesses. They are more typical in early stages of the hiring process (telephone interview, screening interview), and yous will have to deal with many other questions to somewhen get the chore. But you may confront them, and should become ready.

Let's accept a expect at vii sample answers to the question virtually your strengths and weaknesses. I picked strengths plumbing equipment for Accountants in most of the answers, but I also decided to include some anarchistic answers on my listing. At the cease of the 24-hour interval, sometimes the near important matter is to stand out, and say something else than the others volition say. Practise non forget to bank check also the text below the sample answers, for additional explanations and hints.

7 sample answers to "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" interview question for accountants

  1. Attention to item and splendid math skills are my greatest strengths. At to the lowest degree everything I've experienced so far during my studies and professional career suggest so. But like everyone else, nevertheless, I have my weaknesses. I am impatient at times, and I definitely take to improve on my communication skills. Because I understand that a good accountant cannot simply record each transaction properly. They have to be able to communicate their findings and suggestions to the managers from the company. Simply I really hope that working in an international corporation like this i, I will exist forced–in skillful means, to ameliorate on my communication skills, simply by having more interactions with others.
  2. My feel is my greatest strength. I've had my ain accounting business organization for over a decade, with dozens of clients. Companies and freelancers from all sorts of industries, having all sorts of activities. Both local and international transactions, investment, cryptocurrency, payroll, you lot name it. I had to acquire a lot, and I believe that I have faced about every challenge an accountant can face in their exercise. This gives me some edge over other job applicants–or at least I fancy my chances. On the other manus, I have never worked in a corporate surroundings, and may find information technology hard to fit into the place, with everything that belongs to a typical corporate civilisation. This is definitely my weakness, but I believe I volition be able to somewhen overcome it. I am up for the claiming to say the least.
  3. My greatest strengths are motivation and willingness to learn. This is my outset job application, merely I have all motivation in the globe to larn from more experienced colleagues, and eventually get an excellent auditor. My weakness is lack of experience. Of course, I've earned my degree from Economic science and we did a lot of accounting at the college, and I have always excelled in my bookkeeping exams. But I too realize that in that location'south a big gap between the theory at school, and real exercise of an accountant, and I have to acquire a lot to span this gap. It is definitely my weakness, but I run across information technology as something temporary.

* Do not forget to check also: Why do yous want to exist an auditor?

  1. 100% focus on results is mayhap my greatest strength. In my opinion, the function of an auditor isn't simply to record every transaction correctly, and make sure that the revenue enhancement return is in gild. That'southward simply a mere plateau, the very basic level. But I aspire to exercise much more than that for my employer. I always strive to observe artistic ways of cutting tax expense, or save my employer money in some other fashion. Not many accountants accept such an attitude to work. In terms of weaknesses, I would option perfectionism, and sometimes likewise expecting as well much from myself, which can easily lead to a crunch of motivation or even mental health problems. I've been at that place earlier, and I know that I cannot be so difficult on myself, if I am to enjoy life and my career, and achieve my all-time for my employer on an ongoing basis.
  2. One matter I definitely struggle with are computers. I am an quondam school accountant. Having had this job for over thirty years, I tin can count everything with the help of pen and newspaper and a basic figurer. Depending on your perspective, information technology is either a strength, or a weakness. Because when someone relies only on computers to exercise their job, in the moment the computer stops working, or they lose their information, or simply cannot use the computer for any other reason, they are lost, and won't manage to practise anything. On the other hand–and I am aware of it, computers make our work much easier and faster, and also more accurate. And I should definitely rely on them… Well, I believe I'm non also old yet to fail to larn something new. Hence I try with the computers, I am getting ameliorate, only still it is definitely my disadvantage when y'all compare me with younger applicants. On the other hand, I believe I tin can recoup for it with my vast feel and excellent face to face communication skills.
  3. I'd say my biggest strength–at least in relation to this particular chore offer, is the fact that I've been working as a cost auditor for four years already. I won't start from scratch in the field, I've been doing the same job for years, and empathize the ins and outs of the profession. What'southward more, I enjoy my work immensely, which is something I believe you lot cannot say about that many accountants. On the other hand, my weakness–or to the lowest degree what I observed equally such over those four years–is that I sometimes over-complicate things, digging too deep, which ways that it oft takes me longer to go the job done. But I am trying to meliorate on my weakness, and find the right balance, that means paying attention to detail but at the same time working effectively.
  4. Speaking honestly, I believe my sometime managers would be able to say better. Considering I am never quite satisfied with my skills, or even with my results. I always endeavour to better on everything I do, be it at work or exterior of it. So I may be also critical on myself, because I do not remember I am a cracking accountant at the moment. I still have to acquire a lot to consider myself equally such. Simply I've achieved skilful results in my former job, and peradventure my former managers would betoken out certain strengths, or they even run across my accounting skills in a unlike light. However, I want to continue in my pursuit of perfection, and hence I practice not desire to boast hither about my strengths. It's merely not my attitude to piece of work or life.

* May also interest yous: How to dress for an interview? – 5 things to consider when choosing your clothes.

Albeit a weakness is as well a strength

Allow'southward face up it: perfect employees, or perfect accountants, do non be. Hiring managers are well aware of it. Information technology doesn't matter if we talk near a fresh graduate or someone with twenty years of bookkeeping feel. Everyone has some weaknesses–exist it on a professional level, or on a personal level. But only those aware of their weaknesses can really improve on them.

Practice not be afraid of admitting your weakness. Information technology is fifty-fifty more important than pointing out some correct strengths, relevant for the job. Once yous acknowledge your weakness, however, ensure the interviewers that you lot aren't satisfied with the status quo, and effort your best to eliminate your weakness, or at least to minimize the impact it has on your work and relationship with your colleagues. That's the attitude they are looking for.

Experience, or a lack of information technology, is always a go-to respond

When you cannot figure it out, or decide which strength or weakness to pick, you tin can always refer to your experience. Either yous accept it–which is a big plus, especially if you've worked in the same field, on same types of transactions, or you don't–and and so it is your weakness, but one that will eventually diminish over time, because you lot will naturally proceeds information technology in your new job.

Some job seekers call up that they take to talk about their character and personal traits once questioned near their strengths and weakness. Merely that'south not true. You can talk virtually your grapheme, but besides most your pedagogy, experience, attitude, or anything else that will help you in the job (equally your strength) or will hinder your progress equally an auditor. Broaden your horizons, read my sample answers i over again, and pick one for your interview answer.

Ready to answer this one? I hope and then! But information technology is not the simply tricky question you will face in your accounting interview. Check too sample answers to the following questions:

  • Why practice you want to work every bit an accountant?
  • Describe a time when your work was criticized and how yous responded.
  • Tell the states about a time when you had to brand a decision without all information y'all needed.
  • Author
  • Contempo Posts

Matthew Chulaw

Latest posts by Matthew Chulaw (come across all)